Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bang out of order : A Filipina attacked by an Iraqi Lady in UAE

A shopper was punched, slapped and spat at for accidentally running over the hem of a woman’s abaya with a pushchair in a Dubai supermarket.
The victim, who asked to be known by her surname Davis, was shopping in Emirates Co-op store in Al Garhoud when the double-buggy she was pushing caught the edge of another customer’s clothing and banged into her leg.
The 32-year-old apologised immediately but was slammed against the shelves, punched and scratched by the woman who “went crazy”.
Davis, pictured, who was left with cuts and bruises after the assault, told 7DAYS: “I was coming past her and the pushchair went onto her abaya.
“She said I hit her leg and she started shouting bad words at me and calling me the Arabic word for dog - I know that word.”
The attacker, who is believed to be an Iraqi woman in her mid-30s, screamed and shouted at Davis before grabbing her by her wrist, tearing at her hair and throwing her against the shelves.
She repeatedly hit her while shocked staff and customers looked on. As a final insult, she then spat twice in Davis’s face as she was pulled away by the supermarket’s security guard who called the police.
A police medical report lists Davis’ injuries as scratches to her ear and neck, bruising to her upper arm, swelling to her face and a laceration on her little toe.
“When she called me a dog, I did tell her to shut up and walked away,” Davis said.
“But she followed me and grabbed my arm. She was hitting me and shouting. At the end, they pulled her off me but she slapped me again and spat in my face. I was very upset.”
Davis, a Filipina, works for an Arab-American family and was in the store with her employer’s two toddlers at the time of the assault. The employer, who asked not to be named, rushed straight to the supermarket.
She told “I just cannot believe the behaviour of this woman. When I arrived, she was just calmly queuing at the checkout like nothing had happened. We are going to press charges. You cannot treat people like this.”
Dubai Police confirmed officers were called to the incident and are investigating the attack.

No comments: